Hi guys! Today’s post is going to be talking about makeup brands that still test on animals, and why it is so so important not to support them. Now some of these brands you might be really familiar with and think “what??” because that’s what I thought. But what a lot of people have to understand is, if that brand sells in foreign countries like China, they have to be tested on animals in order to be approved in the selling of their product which is not okay!! Here is a list of some brands that still test on animals:
- Benefit Cosmetics
- Bobbi Brown
- MAC Cosmetics
- Rimmel London
I know these brands are really popular, and even I used their products, but after finding this out I will no longer be supporting any of these brands. I strongly hope that the people who read this will no longer support them also! Here are just a few facts about things that happen when testing cosmetics on animals.
It is estimated that 500,000 mice, guinea pigs, rats and rabbits suffer and die in these test’s every YEAR! Pain relief is rarely provided and the animals used are always killed at the end of each test. Here are a few tests that are performed on these animals:
- Skin sensitization (32 Guinea pigs, or 16 mice) The test substance is applied to the surface of the skin or injected under the skin of a guinea pig or applied to the ear of a mouse. Their skin may show signs of redness, ulcers, scaling, inflammation, and itchiness. This is the test they use for allergic reaction on the skin.
- Skin Irritation/ corrosion (1-3 rabbits) The test substance is applied to the shaved skin of a rabbit. Their skin may show signs of redness, rash, lesions, scaling, inflammation, and or other signs of damage. This is the test for skin irritation.
- Eye Irritation/ corrosion (1-3 rabbits) The test substance is applied to a rabbits eye(S) Their eyes may show signs of redness, bleeding, ulcers, blindness and or other signs of damage. Tests for eye irritation and corrosion.
- Acute Oral Toxicity (7 Rats) The test substance is forced down a rats throat using a feeding tube. They may experience diarrhea, convulsions, bleeding from the mouth, seizures, paralysis and or death. This test determines the amount of a substance that causes half of the exposed animals to dies within 14 days of exposure when the substance is swallowed.
- Acute Inhalation Toxicity (20 rats) A rat is placed into a tube and forced to inhale the test substance. They may experience bleeding from the nose, convulsions, paralysis, seizures, and or death.
The reason I’m making this post is so people can understand how harmful and inhumane this is! I encourage everyone to do research before buying from a brand! Here are some really good brands that are cruelty-free ♥
High-end brands: Kat Von D, Anastacia Beverly Hills, Hourglass, Urban Decay, Too Faced, MILK Makeup, Marc Jacobs, Tarte, Natasha Denona
Drugstore brands: Milani, ELF, Wet n Wild, Hard Candy, NYX, Physicians Formula, BH Cosmetics, Flower Cosmetics, Pixi, Lush
For more information on the importance of this post here’s a great website!